Saturday 1 July 2017

parkrun UK

Today I completed the 14th of the 14 parkrun's that surround Durham.  A quick blog post to say what an absolutely amazing initiative I think parkrun is.
http://www.parkrun.org.uk/

It's completely free, it's run by volunteers in beautiful open spaces around the country and it has a great sense of community whether you are a top club athlete or a six year old wanting to jog/walk around a 5km route with their grandparent.
All fourteen of the parkruns surrounding Durham - Done
After completing the 14th of these local runs, I though I'd look back at my phone for photographs...
Whitley Bay in the rain - keeping pace with my little boy
Christmas Eve - 9am - Chester le Street

The National Trust owned Gibside Hall near Rowlands Gill
The hottest of June mornings in Costa-del-Hartlepool

Almost as hot in South Shields the following week

Newcastle Town Moor and the iconic Wylam Brewery
Sunny Waaaaalllllsend
Saltwell Park Gateshead

My hometown course in Durham running just behind my little girl

...and putting a bit back through volunteering once or twice
The volunteers get ready on at Durham for the junior parkrun
34 runs now across 18 different locations

In the rain at Prudhoe
So what is next? I think I may now need to spread the net and try out the runs at Druridge Bay further north and the likes of Northallerton further south.

So, if you like sport or just want to keep fit - I strongly recommend you try out a parkrun near you:


Update - 13/05/18 - All 23 runs in the North East now ticked off :)
All done (* until Alnwick and Morpeth opens)

2 comments:

  1. Nice job Steve. How have your times progressed, getting a lot faster?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Parkrun definitely has made me want to run faster (especially with all of the metrics) so you then find yourself training more. So yes - probably improved times over 18 months by 2-3 minutes.

    ReplyDelete